A Brief History   

    The Odon Library Association was formed on January 14, 1906, at 2:00 pm. In the Ben
Hur Hall by a few residents of the community members with a set of less than 100 books. The
amount soon increased to 500 volumes including fiction, books of poetry, and reference books.
However, due to lack of leadership many books were lost. Two committees were then formed to
oversee the library. One committee was to govern policies and procedures and the other for
purchasing books and bookshelves.


    On March 11, 1912, the Odon Library Association donated their books and two
bookshelves to the ladies of the Mutual Improvement Club. The library was then opened to the
public Membership fees were no longer required but a fee of $.50 annually, $.35 for six months,
or $.15 quarterly to gain access to the library. The room was donated so the major expenses was
for library materials. Socials and programs of various kinds were planned to generate income.
A petition was signed in 1912 for the fist tax levy to be accepted by the Odon Town
Board. In January of 1914 the first township tax in support of the library was approved by
Madison Township.


    The library moved from building to building until 1937. With a legacy given by Jonas
Winklepleck in honor of his wife Florence, a building was erected at 202 W Main Street. The
new building officially became the Winklepleck Memorial Library with an inventory of 7,000
volumes.


    In 1971, the name Winklepleck Memorial Library was officially changed to the Odon
Winkelpleck Public Library in accordance with the Acts of 1947.
In the late 1990s the building was remodeled, and an addition was added to create more
space for books and workspace for staff. A grand re-opening was held on April 10, 2000, to
celebrate the ‘new’ library.


    In December 2022 a resolution was signed by the Daviess County Commission to include
the townships of Bogard, Elmore, Steele, and Van Buren to the library taxing district. In
September of 2024 another resolution was signed to add the Town of Plainville, and the Town of
Elnora to the library district.